If you fear for your immediate safety please call 9-1-1 immediately.

Legal Options


If you have experienced a physical or sexual assault by a stranger or someone you know we are available, even in the middle of the night, to help you explore your legal options. these options include:

  • Make a Police Report
  • Create an Information Only File>
  • Make a Third Party Report

And remember: You do not have to report an assault to police to access our services.


Police Report

Thinking about making a police report? We can help you explore your legal reporting options.

If you want to make a police report but do not want to go alone, our SMART workers can accompany you to the local police detachment. It is unlikely your smart worker can be present during your police interview but we will remain on site to provide support before and after your police report. Our SMART workers help ease your anxiety while exploring your legal reporting options.

You can make a police report by:

  • Calling 9-1-1 if there is an immediate risk to your safety or the safety of others.
  • Calling the non-emergency line of the police detachment where the assault occurred.
  • Attending a police detachment and reporting the assault to the officer at the desk.


Information Only File

You can provide a written statement about the assault to the police and request that they don’t investigate the assault. The police may create an Information Only File with the police. Unless, there is a concern for public safety or the safety of a child, the police will usually respect your wishes. However, Information Only Files are rare.


Third Party Report

Sexual assault is one of the most underreported crimes. If you have been sexually assaulted and are too afraid to call the police, you can make Third Party Report and remain anonymous. Our team can share details about the assault with the police without sharing your name or other identifying characteristics. A Third Party Report is considered a last resort for survivors who would not otherwise provide information to the police.


Call 604-583-1295 to speak with a support worker if you are considering your options. You do not have to go to the hospital or make a police report to use our services.